Tuesday, December 1, 2009

In search of a grain mill...

I've always been deeply interested in making my own flour. I am not going broke buying gluten free flours... but... I'm not getting rich either.

I'm nearly out of egg replacer and it is $8.00 a box. $8.00! It is soy flour and a couple different kinds of starch. I bought soy flour instead, but it was $3.00 for a small bag. It's soy beans that have been turned to powder. That's it.

And this brings me to my search for a grain mill. I went all over the city and talked to some very interesting people. On a tip from the restaurant supply store I did find what I was looking for - a small grinder that will grind anything and it only costs THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS. The nice lady in the store is checking for some that don't plug in. I have four teenagers- surely to goodness one of them can grind the grains and do the hard work of making flour!

I got a large electric coffee grinder ($40) and it works really well on buckwheat and quite good on brown rice. It wasn't heavy duty enough for popcorn, but come on! Popcorn is hard!

It only convinced me that I really, really, really want a grain mill because the bread that I made with it was very beautiful and filling whole grains.

The whole grain mill experience was a bit of a snipe hunt, but I'm not giving up! I'm going to get it and I'm not paying $300 for it, either!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. I did a search online and you're right--they ARE expensive! Of course, you could get a nice one that attaches to your juicer cheaply enough. But who has a fancy juicer? The manuel ones look---painful. That's all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete