Monday, December 28, 2009

The living room

We are living in a fairly small space, but we've lived her for nearly 5 years so we know what works and what doesn't, now. There are two entries to the living room and we've blocked one with a 6 ft. shelf. This makes more 'floor room' in the living room.

When we moved here we bought new end tables and a reclining chair. We intentionally chose furniture that was a little smaller and had storage. The tables are black wrought iron with tile top. We need furniture that can stand up to the pace of our life and still look okay.

Tip #1 - Get the best quality and the most functional piece that you can. Now, most of our furniture comes for free or nearly free, but I have discovered that you don't have to take what is offered. If it is not your style or doesn't really FIT with your life say no thanks! :-) There is going to be another free couch offer! Honest! Our latest free couch has a fold down center and reclining ends.

The thing about me is that I need everything away... but not away because if I can't see it - it's gone. The way I fix that is by having fewer things in the living room and everything has a place. I also have some things in baskets. I'm not a big fan of baskets, but I got some that I liked and in a neutral colour and they are very useful for things I need to contain, but not look at - like paper.

The blankets go in the blanket chest and DVDs go in the movie cupboard. I tried many cheaper options for a movie cupboard but I hated all of them. I got the cupboard (an old canning cupboard) for $20 at Value Village on half price day. I used it for school stuff for a while, but it wasn't big enough. It was re-purposed when we needed somewhere to put movies. I definitely do not want to SEE dh's movie collection all the time!

Tip #2- if you only have things that you love (or really like) they will all match in an odd sort of way. Also- if you paint everything the same colour- it will all match, too.

I'm at a place in my life where things REALLY have to work for me (OR ELSE!) I have very few books or knick knacks out. We live one km from the library and use it often. My kids are bigger so they have their own books in their rooms and the school cupboard is in the dining room.

Your rooms *really* have to grow with the ages and stages of your family.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, I saw this site with some useful info on Dorm Living Hope it helps

    ReplyDelete