Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The new grain mill is here!

Very exciting stuff! I can convert anything to flour and it is SO exciting! I did some brown rice yesterday and it is exactly the same as what I buy in the store only it SMELLS like rice.

Okay - true confession time! I spent $569 on food this month. I did put $1300 into savings, though! I know people are going to email me at home and ask where I got it so here is the breakdown.

Extra EI cheque- $886
Rent from DD#1- $300
Skimmed wherever I could- $114

Extra expenses this month- Vet bill - $100
Transportation- half a tank of gas + 20 bus tickets put me $6 over
Food- $69...
medication- $89. I bought an extra 3 weeks for ds to keep us out of Costco and dh is weaning from one med and starting a more expensive one so there is extra costs this month.
Grain mill -$40 was the difference between Christmas money from my mom and the cost.

Grand total - $294

Now, I know people are going to say- but Kim, *I* didn't get an extra cheque this month so it is really unfair that you would say that if you can save I can save. That may be true, but I think everyone gets an equal amount of chances in life. We could have taken that money had a traditional family Christmas with it. You know - the kind with a Wii... :-) My family *Really* wants a Wii. And just as soon as dh gets a job we'll get one, but not before.

So that brings me back to my point that ALMOST every family can save. I really want want to encourage people to get in the habit of putting SOMETHING away each month. Even if it is $5 every pay cheque it is still more than zero and if you are in the habit of doing it you will save more when you have more- trust me!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Kim. You are doing better than i am this month. lol

    ReplyDelete