Friday, December 18, 2009

The stress free Christmas... One week to go...

Everywhere I go in real life and on the Internet there is only one question - are you ready for Christmas. Why, yes! Yes, I am! :-)

So far in the spirit of Christmas we've put fuzzy socks on the Giving Tree at the library. They collect socks, mitts and toiletries for the kids at the women's shelter. If those items are donated then it doesn't take out of the operating budget to provide them for women and children in need.

We've watched the fireplace on TV and listen to Christmas carols in English and French.

We've watched hockey in English... and French.

Schmidt (the authour) started reading about Hanukkah for a story he was writing. He asked if we could like Hanukkah candles and I said - Sure... why not! :-) No more about that now- there are pictures to follow.

Sunshine donated all her candles to the living room and we've lit them each night and keep them burning after the other candles are blown out. Something we discovered when it was colder than -40... Candles put out a fair amount of heat.

Now- how many presents have I made? None.

How many presents have I bought? None. My youngest is nearly 16 and they are all very aware of our financial situation. I told them that we would keep satellite TV for another couple months and everyone was happy with that.

Oh- and I want to say that I've checked with them and none of their spirits were crushed in the making of this stress-free, guilt-free Christmas. 'Don't Know/Don't Care' went over to her friend's house and they did a cookie exchange there. She also decorated the tree with her friend.

The kids know that any money we don't spend goes into savings and I think they are all old enough *and* mature enough to understand that.

Cards? :-) Not sending any!

Mall trips? One this month- I zipped in to check on the grain mill situation.

Travelling to family? We've been invited and declined. There is only enough room for half of us in the truck. We'll just stay home together, instead.

Decorating? None! :-) Just candles everywhere. We might still do something... but we might not.

So far, we are having a great time. This is the best Christmas of my adult life. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect Christmas Kim. I have a dream of escaping the rat race of Christmas some year... this year is not it. Hopefully someday it will arrive for me. :o)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. we skip Christmas too, just putting in the parts we really enjoy and leaving out the stressful stuff you are "supposed" to put in.. I think it isn't only money it saves and your kids may never want to fully go back to the other way of doing things!

    ReplyDelete