Thursday, December 3, 2009

Trying something new at the grocery store.

This month we bought everything that we could on 15% off day. We bought any fruits and vegetables that would keep two weeks or more and anything we could freeze like soy milk. We got enough eggs for two weeks and cheese for the month. I used to only shop once a month and I saved a lot of money doing that so I'm going to try and go back to that.

A person might think why not just buy soymilk weekly. Good question! While we are in the store for soymilk and perishables the cart usually gets filled with other not so necessary things- especially this time of year. Soy milk is $4/ 2 litres, but I had a coupons for 60 cents off and it was 15% off day so that brings it down to $2.89. I was pretty happy with that because I was going to buy my usual 1 litre rice milk 2/$5.00 Just the savings of the 15% off is significant, but I was very happy to get the deal with it.

I'll shop once more for more fruit and vegetables, but I should be set for everything else. I usually spend $250-300 on 15% off day and shop 2 or 3 more times in the month. This is very time consuming and can be more expensive. We didn't really try to keep it low, but we did fill two carts rather quickly with fruit and vegetables so that makes you think twice about what you put into a second cart.

My goal for the month is $500, but I have more and I'm very willing to go over that amount if I need to. I figure it is all a lesson and will help me keep on track in a couple months when I really will need to spend less.

I will let you all know how it goes! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment