Wednesday, December 23, 2009

On Poverty

We are not poor and never will be. We are broke, not poor and there is a BIG difference between the two. Sadly, a lot of people are broke this year so there is a spotlight on people who used to have a lot and this year have less.

On the CBC Newsworld this morning there was a family that advertised on Kijiji (Canadian online classifieds) for donations because the father lost his job last month and the mother's part time job doesn't cover the basics. I understand how parents want their kids to have nice things or a nice Christmas. At some point, though, I think a dose of reality is required for the children AND for the parents.

When do you turn to the kids and say "Kids, if you don't have the money then you can't buy things." When do you turn to YOURSELF or your partner and say "no, we can't afford it."

Lest you think I am making too much of cyber begging - try typing cyber begging or online begging into your search engine and look at how many hits you get! WOW! I don't know if it all started with Karyn but I never heard of cyber begging before 'Save Karyn.'

I've heard the same rationalization over and over now for months- a person does what they have to do to feed their families. Believe me - I agree! *I* am doing everything I have to do to feed MY family, but I'm not lying, stealing or begging to do it. I am working two jobs, cutting back on everything and making a LOT of soup. That is everything that *I* can do to feed my family.

Now- I don't tell you this to illicit sympathy (OR MONEY) but to present another side to the argument.

There is poverty and there is a poverty of spirit and I fear that society has lost the ability to distinguish between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment