Thursday, October 15, 2009

"Only the pure of heart can make a good soup"

Well according to Beethoven anyway! I make a lot of soup and it is what we usually have for lunch. The problem with good soup is that it takes a long time to cook.

I have an ice cream pail in the freezer and all the scraps, peels, skins, vegetable water and bones go into it. When the pail is full I put the frozen lump into the crock pot on low over night. Then in the morning I can deal with the stock and make soup. I have enough scraps to do this 2-3 times a week.

I usually add some acid to the stock if I'm using bones. I just use vinegar or there is usually a soft tomato kicking around in my fridge. I've also used a little tomato juice, V-8 juice or salsa.

There is no real recipe. You just use whatever you have. You don't have to serve it with a tablespoon of sour cream and a buttered multigrain bun... but I'm going to!


No comments:

Post a Comment