Friday, January 15, 2010

Trying new things

I found a cook book on Sunshine's book shelf- Extending the Table- recipes and stories from Argentina to Zambia in the spirit of More with Less, by Joetta Handrich Schlabach.

I bought this cookbook TWO years ago... and I don't think I've ever used it. I didn't use it because I couldn't find it and it didn't occur to me that she would have it. Anyway!

It is full of wonderful, cheap meals and stories from other countries (which would be wonderful on a country day or in a unit study...)

I learned that if you take corn tortilla shells and heat them up in a dry cast iron pan that they get soft and really tasty. They get soft enough that you can fold them into a quesadilla or to serve for people to make their own tacos. This is HUGE at our house because we are missing wraps.

I never would have found that out, though, if I hadn't opened the new book and read the whole thing and tried some of the ideas that I found. I think that is really the best way to be frugal - try new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment