Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Grandma Olive

There are people in the world that think I'm a little bit frugal. They didn't know my Grandma Olive. Grandma lived through the Great Depression (if ever an era was more aptly named I don't know about it!) and was always poised for another one.

The thing about my Grandma is she was raised on a farm and knew how to do things. *I* was raised in the 70's. We did do a little gardening and my mom did bake bread and make soup, but I never realized until I was in my twenties that maybe mushroom soup didn't have to come out of a red and white can.

I still have these little moments where I realize I don't know how to do things! I've just learned how to pop popcorn on the stove AND convert those popcorn kernels into cornmeal. Honestly! Cornmeal is just ground, dried corn. Why in the world would I pay money for that?!

Since we've gone gluten free I've started thinking about food as being broken down into it's most basic parts. Food is a lot simpler at my house because it takes longer to prepare. Most of the time I don't eat meat (if I'm serving it) but I'm not a restaurant. There might be a couple choices, but they are basic choices.

Which brings me back to - why would I pay money for cornmeal? Or rice flour? Or microwave popcorn? I can tell you now that I am never going to be as frugal as Grandma Olive was... but I'm never going to go back to buying common things, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment