Monday, March 1, 2010

Happy March to you all! :-)

It's a big month and we're all still pretty stoked about Canada winning the gold medal game... Sorry, Americans! =8-)

I have to share what I just found out. Apples (and other sources of pectin) are a good detox food. Apparently they are being used with success in the Ukraine in the post Chernobyl detox. I am pretty interested in that!

This month I've got the baby of the family turning 16 and the oldest turning 20. It's a month of changes at my house, I think.

I am feeling a LOT better since I quit dairy. My dairy-free buddies didn't notice a difference, but I *REALLY* did. It took three days of craziness to feel better, but after that food started digesting well and my stomach got flat. I didn't realize that it was bloated, but it was.

You are probably still thinking about apples and how good they are. Lately we've been making personal apple crisps. You chop an apple (or two if you are extra hungry) and top with whatever you like. We chop raisins, crystallized ginger, nuts and seeds then put about 1/4 cup/ apple on top. 1/4 is about a serving size for nuts so I think that is a reasonable amount to use. I also like dried, chopped dates ... BUT you can use brown sugar if you prefer. If you do a little margarine and brown sugar together it will get those delicious crunchy bits. We also like cinnamon so use that according to taste.

Warm everything in the microwave and top with a little cinnamon flavoured cashew cream (same as CHEEZ, but with cinnamon instead of garlic) or non-dairy ice cream or frozen whipped topping.

And so I leave you with a quote: "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." Carl Sagan. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment