Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Freedom to Read

Well, it's Freedom to Read week in Canada and I know all my favourite Canadians are reading banned and challenged books this week.

Every year I am shocked about the books that are on the list. If you find a book offensive then don't read it. Period. No one is interfering with your right as a Canadian to be offended. :-)

For example- On the Banks of Plum Creek. The author does, in fact, use the word "Indian." She doesn't do it to be offensive. She uses it because it what the North American Indigenous people were called at that time. What a good way to show contrast between what people used to believe and what we believe today. How educational.

Okay, I won't say anymore because you want to get back to your banned book, I'm sure. Either that or you are just on your way to the library! Go! What are you waiting for? Go read!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished my banned or challenged book 'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist' and thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for the suggestion to choose a book from that list!

    ReplyDelete