Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Barriers to decluttering

I'm just going to mention a couple barriers of decluttering today. These are the hardest or most memorable to me.

1. I don't want to just 'get rid' of it. I don't want to be wasteful.

2. The guilt gift. Examining the motivation of someone who gives you a gift.

3. I don't have time. I don't have energy.

Let's just talk about #1 for today. Decluttering can be upsetting and overwhelming- particularly if you involve people who aren't motivated to help you. Some of us had (or perhaps still have) depression era parents or grandparents and they firmly believed WASTE NOT. I believe in waste not, as well, but I think we need to be a little more realistic about how life is today.

So some rules that go with barrier #1.

Do you need it? It doesn't matter how fantastic and beautiful it is -if you don't NEED it, it's clutter. The exception to this would be if you need it AND use it. For example, I have a very wonderful warm coat. I use it a couple times a year here. If I lived anywhere else it would hang in the closet forever and I would never use it. Another exception might be jewelery or things that are decorative. You might not need them, but you use them and love them.

I think the things a person surrounds themselves with should be useful *and* beautiful.

It's not wasteful to get rid of things that you aren't using. It is wasteful to KEEP things you aren't using. If something is still good there are many charities and thrift shops that you can support with your still- good stuff. Just check on the rules before you load up your car. Since bedbugs are on the rise you aren't going to be able to donate things like old mattresses anywhere.

Just keep in mind that if things are fit for the landfill then send them to the landfill. Your *HOME* should not be the place where junk goes to die. Your home should be warm and inviting and filled with the things that you love.

Things you can get rid of today:

Recycling
Clothes that are ripped, stained or don't fit.
Shoes that don't fit and ugly purses.
Extra coffee mugs- Mine always seem to multiply.
Anything that reminds you of a really unhappy time in your life.

You can begin with a grocery store bag and stop when it is full! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment