Monday, February 22, 2010

You know what, people?

I am having a major dairy detox. I never really thought I was going to detox from dairy. I was just going to stop eating cheese (my only remaining dairy) and everything would be fine. I had even 'stepped down' to soy cheese. The soy cheese was full of casein, though, so it wasn't really all that soy-ish, was it? :-)

You saw me all blissed out on goat's cheese last time. Of course it was great! I got my drug of choice. When I woke up in the morning, though, things were a little more clear.

When I went off gluten it was a full two weeks of heavy cravings and a month before I started really enjoying it. Now the thought of bread kind of sickens me.

Apparently there is a real *detox* with dairy. One blogger claimed that it was harder for him to quit dairy than cigarettes. I didn't realize that I was craving something, but on my last shopping trip I bought rye ginger cake, malt vinegar and chevre cheese. I can't eat any of those things and I know it! What the HECK!

I haven't had a sinus cold or sinus infection - or really ANY illness - since I quit eating gluten. This is rare for me because I have always had a sinus cold. In the winter the sinus cold often becomes chronic bronchitis and I have to work hard to keep it from becoming pneumonia.

So- just be warned... if you plan on changing your diet there can be a genuine detox. I'm doing the same things that I would do for a sinus cold. I'm forcing hot fluids, adding lemon juice and chopped ginger to my tea and taking vitamins- particularly B and C. I am also taking very hot epsom salt baths.

Epsom salt is magnesium and I've found it helpful for several years. There is the real possibility that I wasn't sick, but trying to process gluten and casein instead. Anyway- I've known for a long time that I will get better after I sweat. After the forced fluids and magnesium bath I will just sweat if I need to.

***Don't try epsom salt baths if you have blood pressure or heart issues***

This morning I got up and I wasn't sure I felt well at ALL, but I got some fluids and blew my nose... several times... and I'm probably OK. :-) I wish someone had TOLD me that this could happen, though, so I'm telling you.

Even though its gross... I do feel better. I can't explain it because I feel SICK, but better.

No comments:

Post a Comment