Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sour Milk Cake

This is my *favourite* frugal cake recipe. It is something that I would make when I had lots of sour milk and not much else in the fridge.

Sour milk cake

1 tsp soda
1 1/2 cups sour milk* (I use sour soy milk or yogurt)
1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp. butter, soft or melted (or margarine or oil)
1 egg

1 cup of cornmeal and 1 cup of whole wheat flour whisked together.

*You can use fresh milk, but let the batter sit on the counter for several hours so it can thicken up. It should be the consistency of a thick cake batter when you put it in the oven.

Add the soda to the sour milk then give it a little stir. Add everything but the flour mix and whisk it together. Add the flour and cornmeal mixture and blend.

If you want to make this gluten free you use whatever mixture of GF flours that you like for the 1 cup of flour. I used 1/2 cup white rice flour and a combination of brown rice flour, millet flour, egg replacer (soy flour) and a couple tablespoons of ground golden flax seeds. It came out quite nice. In GF baking terms- it wasn't a brick like the 'bread' I'm expirmenting with.

I bake mine in the toaster oven 325F for 30 minutes. 9 inch pan or greased muffin tins. I use Pam spray instead of greasing because life is short, my friends.

When the kids were little I used to make this a couple times a week for breakfast. I would blend the dry together and the wet together before I went to bed. In the morning it was easy to get the wet bowl from the fridge and dump it into the flours. Then I would put it in the toaster oven and wander away to start my morning routine while the kids slept.

It's also something you can make up during quiet time in the afternoon and just let it sit in a covered bowl on the the counter to bake while the rest of the meal is cooking. It is good with soup, stew, curried vegetables or just as dessert.

I bake it in the 13 inch pan that came with the toaster oven so everyone can have lots of little squares. Schmidt says he put Cool whip (leftover from Brown Bear's birthday) on the last piece he ate. Dh asked him how many pieces he ate. He replied, "I don't know... about 11."

=8-| It was probably an exaggeration, but you can never tell. Those teenagers are HUNGRY.

No comments:

Post a Comment