Sunday, November 1, 2009

All Saints Day or the day of half priced candy...

We aren't Catholic so it is the day of half priced candy. :-)

Yesterday the boys paced around the house moaning, "cake... caaaaaake." Brown Bear practically accused me of neglectful parenting because I never took HIM begging for candy. It is just the cravings talking so I asked him if the problem was that he wanted half price candy. Of course he said - yeeeeees.

This is something that I've noticed with the gluten free diet. When we stopped eating gluten we started to CRAVE sugar. We didn't eat white flour before or high sugar products so this was odd to me. Because of the cravings I've started to do several mini meals a day (or three meals and two or three snacks.) I'm eating the same (gluten free) food and the same number of calories - it is just spread through out the day.

I've been mostly gluten free for a couple weeks, but I have noticed a difference in my sinuses. I can breathe through my nose. Is that what those two face holes are for?? =8-D I am sleeping better at night and I don't have the same level of pain. I have always had muscle, joint and bone pain. ALWAYS. For as long as I can remember.

So if that is the only benefit I ever get - breathing through my nose and being able to get out of bed in the morning without pain it is probably worth it. I wouldn't trade a battered fish stick for it, I can tell you that!

Oh, and a disclaimer before I go. I don't think gluten, cow's milk and sugar are the root of all evil. I think if you these things aren't a problem for you then quitting them won't fix anything, right? I am only saying that 3 days of gluten free whole grains was enough to change *my* life and *I* am never eating it again.

1 comment:

  1. I dunno. Since I became sugar free, I've been thinking maybe sugar is the root of all evil. lol

    Congrats on being pain free, that's my goal too but I'm not there yet. That and not being fuzzy headed and sick every other day. I have reached that part of my goal and it's wonderful! But I sure hear ya on the sugar cravings. They do get better though it takes a week or two.

    ReplyDelete