Saturday, April 24, 2010

Vegan chili

I got the idea from here. I decided it would be more meat-like if I processed the vegetables in the food processor. And, let's face it, FASTER! Chopping vegetables for 6 or 7 people is time consuming. The inspiration recipe is more beautiful than mine, but I'm sure it is not tastier...

I fried the onions in my large pot first so they were well cooked, but all the other veggies were tender crisp. I added canned corn, leftover chickpeas and brown rice and served it with unsalted stone ground tortilla chips.

I wasn't sure the meatless chili would be a hit, but Brown Bear is beside me and chowing down on it. It is the spices and texture that make foods familiar, though, not the meat.

Sometimes it is hard finding vegan, gluten free food that the whole family enjoys, but I'm pretty happy with this! Very adaptable. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Chili is usually too spicy for me to eat more than a bite or two. How did this compare in spiciness to traditional chili?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it a little less spicy because a couple of my kids don't like spicy food at all. I always just adjust the spice depending on who is eating it. :-)

    ReplyDelete