Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hidden sources of gluten

Get a hot drink and clear your schedule- this is a long post! :-P But before I get started I want to state clearly that Celiac disease is NOT an allergy to wheat. It is an auto-immune disease. Your body will literally break itself down trying to digest food and the result is malnutrition no matter how much you eat.

I've been talking to a LOT of people this week about hidden gluten. Finding the hidden sources of gluten is SO important if you need to be on a gluten free diet. Something I just found out this week- non food items do not have to list gluten on the labels. This would include lipstick, lip balm, shampoo, envelope glue and toothpaste. I'm pretty sure I would have a chance of ingesting gluten from any of those, though. Another thing I found out - there is gluten in cleaning products. I can only say, "WHY?"

Not hidden, but something you might not think about - play dough, vitamins and medication. This might be OTC medication or prescription medication. Alternatives do exist if you go looking for them, though. I buy gluten free vitamins at Costco (but they have them at the grocery store, too) and a bright young man has invented Soy-Yer Dough.

Gluten can also be hidden in food. You know those handy packages of pre-grated cheese? They use wheat starch to prevent it from sticking. Same with chewing gum. It is used to keep the gum from sticking to the conveyer belt. I assume that is why it is in chocolate chips, too. I don't really know about that one. Gluten is also in malt... malt vinegar... maltodextrin. Maltodextrin can be made from corn or wheat, but if it doesn't say in brackets after it on the label you can assume it is wheat. And that is how gluten is hidden in things like potato chips and dry roasted nuts.

And now many links if you are interested.

Gluten free cleaning products.

Non-edible sources of gluten.

Hidden gluten list

Gluten in medication

Extensive list of hidden gluten

No comments:

Post a Comment